Friday, April 27, 2007

Day 2

Woke up to a pretty, clean tank then by nightfall (as you can see below) it's awful! I dechlorinated the water before bed with a Stress Coat.

First thing was to clean up all of that crushed coral we inherited with the tank. This process took 3 LONG hours and it was disgusting! I was cleaning out carcases and dead coral, the smell was beyond atrocious. So 2 cups at a time Kyna and I cleaned the coral and it turned into this really pretty white substrate with thousands of tiny sea shells.

After pouring the crushed coral into the tank I added a heater and thermometer so I can put in some live rock soon and start the nitrogen cycle. I just hope the tank clears soon, it's so murky!




Oh, best explain the hydrometer on the bottom of the tank. It has to stay in saltwater for 24 hours before use so what better place than in the tank? :)

No comments: